Friday, April 30, 2010

Labor and Delivery

So several people have asked for the details of Taos' birth. I will share, not in extreme detail of course, the events that occurred on his birthday. I was scheduled for an induction on Thursday, April 22 if he did not come before then. I was already a 3 and 80% effaced so the scheduling was more just for family to be at the hospital since they all live out of town. Casey and I arrived at the hospital at 5:00 a.m. The medication to induce labor was started and my IV placed, etc. Dr. Davis came in and broke my water around 8:30 a.m. He said I could have my epidural anytime after that. I thought I would wait a while, then the nurse told me that the anesthesiologist was about to go into a c-section and we may not be able to get her immediately if we waited... so I thought about it and decided if I was going to get an epidural anyways, I might as well get it then. I ended up getting it put in around 10:00 a.m. The contractions had begun and were clearly uncomfortable, but not unbearable. I mean nothing about labor is particularly pleasant anyways. After the epidural I felt pressure like cramps and in my lower back - totally different from those with Avery which were across my stomach. Taos' heartbeat was perfect throughout the labor process. I told the nurse that I sure did feel alot of pressure during each contraction so she decided to check me. I was a 7 around 12:00 p.m. so Casey decided to go grab lunch in the cafeteria before I made it to a 10. At 12:45 p.m. I told the nurse that I felt more pressure and I was already a 9. She called the doctor who was on his way over to the hospital. My dad went down to get Casey, who had to throw his lunch away, and come on up to my room. Dr. Davis walked in at 1:00 p.m. and I started pushing. Taos had to be turned because his head was face down and Dr. Davis wanted him face up. OUCH! is all I have to say about that. After considerably less pushing than with my first child, he was born at 1:17 p.m. with the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck twice! We couldn't tell because his heartbeat never went down and we are so thankful that it didn't cause any complications. He was perfect and we got to hold him and keep him in our room for an hour. Casey went and got Avery so she could be the first one to see and hold her baby brother. She was more worried about me being in the hospital bed than anything, but did act like she loved her little Taos. We were blessed to have my parents, Casey's parents, my brother and sister-in-law, and my cousin Betsy at the hospital when he arrived. Taos and I were both released the next day and home by 5:00 p.m. Whew - quick hospital stay, but we were all ready to get home. My mom stayed a week - thank goodness since we have no family here and Casey's mom is coming to stay a few days as well. How sweet our families are! All four of us are doing good and adjusting to our little blessing. God is good!

1 comment:

Erin and Anthony said...

Wow! It sounds like God was truly watching over little Taos as he was being born. Thanks for sharing the story. I love to hear birthing stories as I prepare for mine :)